Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless poison gas that is produced by fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ovens, clothes dryers, water heaters, space heaters, fireplaces, charcoal or gas grills, and wood burning stoves.
If an appliance malfunctions or is improperly installed, CO can back up into the home, reaching dangerous levels and quickly cause injury or death.
What are the symptoms?
Initial symptoms are similar to the flu with no fever and can include dizziness, severe headache, nausea, sleepiness, fatigue / weakness and disorientation.
CO is often called the “silent killer” because it is odorless, tasteless and undetectable. In fact its symptoms are often misdiagnosed and many people don’t know they are suffering from CO poisoning.
If the CO alarm sounds, you must get fresh air. Move outdoors, by an open window or near an open door. Make sure everyone in the home gets to fresh air. Call your management office from a fresh air location or call the FCHA emergency number 724 434-2400 after normal working hours. Stay there until help arrives.
Any questions please contact your management office.
Carbon Monoxide Alarm Standard Act
Occupant responsibilities.--The occupant of each multifamily dwelling used for rental purposes in which an operational and approved carbon monoxide alarm has been provided must:
- Keep and maintain the device in good repair.
- Test the device.
- Replace any device that is stolen, removed, missing or rendered inoperable during the occupancy of the building.
- Notify the owner or the authorized agent of the owner in writing of any deficiencies pertaining to the approved carbon monoxide alarm.
Four Beeps – CO Alarm
One “Chirp” per minute – Replace Alarm
Three “Chirps” per minute – Malfunction – Replace Alarm
Five “Chirps” per minute – End of life signal (10Year) – Replace Alarm
Note: The carbon monoxide alarm is sealed, with no serviceable parts. Battery is not replaceable.