Section 8 Department
The Section 8 Program was enacted as part of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, which amended the U.S. Housing Act of 1937. Administration of the Section 8 Housing Program and the functions and responsibilities of the Fayette County Housing Authority shall be in compliance with the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Section 8 Regulations, as well as all Federal, State, and Local Laws and Regulations.
The purpose of the Section 8 Program is to provide rental assistance to eligible low income families, and help them become more successful at obtaining affordable housing and increasing their housing choices.
The Section 8 Program is a three-way partnership between the Housing Authority, the family, and the owner or landlord. In order for the Section 8 Program to be successful, each partner must do the following:
THE FAYETTE COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY
- Review all applications to determine whether an applicant is eligible for the Program.
- Explain all the Rules of the Program to all families who qualify.
- Issue a Voucher, and if necessary, assist the family in finding a place to live (Reasonable Accommodation Policy).
- Approve the unit, the owner, and the tenancy.
- Make Housing Assistance Payments to the owner in a timely manner.
- Ensure that both the family and unit continue to qualify under the Program.
- Ensure that owners and families comply with the Program Rules.
- Provide families and owners with prompt, professional service.
- Provide the Fayette County Housing Authority with complete and accurate information.
- Make the best effort to find a place to live that is suitable for the family and qualifies for the Program.
- Cooperate in attending all appointments scheduled by the Housing Authority.
- Take responsibility for the care of the housing unit.
- Comply with the terms of the lease with the owner.
- Comply with the Family Obligations of the Voucher.
- Screen families who apply to determine if they will be good renters. The Fayette County Housing Authority can supply information on the current and previous landlords.
- Comply with Fair Housing Laws, and not discriminate against any family.
- Maintain the housing unit by making necessary repairs in a timely manner.
- Comply with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payments Contract (HAP Contract) with the Fayette County Housing Authority.
- Collect the rent due by the family and otherwise enforce the Lease.
LEASE AND CONTRACT TERMINATION
The Family may terminate a Lease with the Owner, but such termination must be in accordance with the terms of the Lease.
The Owner may terminate the Lease with the Tenant for the following reasons:
- Serious of repeated violations of the lease, including, but not limited to, nonpayment of rent or other amounts due under the lease, or repeated violation of the terms and conditions of the lease;
- Violations of Federal, State, or Local Law that imposes obligations on the tenant in connection with the occupancy or use of the premises; or criminal activity by the tenant, any member of the household, a guest or other person under the tenant’s control that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by the other residents, or persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises, or any drug-related or criminal activity on or near the premises.
SECTION 8 HOMEOWNERSHIP PROGRAM
The Fayette County Housing Authority’s Homeownership Program is designed to promote and support homeownership by a “first-time” homeowner. It allows an eligible family to purchase a home with voucher homeownership assistance, which supplements the family’s income to facilitate the transition from rental to homeownership. The initial availability of these assistance payments helps the family pay the cost of homeownership so that the family can finance the purchase of the home.
To qualify for the Homeownership Program, you must be a current Section 8 Rental Tenant, having been on the Section 8 Housing Program for at least one (1) year. You must also be employed full time for one (1) year, making at least $10,300.00 per year, or receiving SSI Benefits.
The Housing Authority currently has two (2) Homeownership Vouchers available with a Waiting List of approximately 60 Section 8 Tenants. If you are interested in being placed on the Waiting List for the Homeownership Program, please call 724-434-2115.
HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM LISTING
The Fayette County Housing Authority will provide Available Units Listings for the purpose of general awareness only. The Listings are updated at the beginning of each month. Therefore, if a Listing is received in the middle of the month, it will not appear until the beginning of the following month. Also, some units on the Available Units Listings may have already been rented. If this information is given to the Housing Authority, we will correct any errors reported to our Office. Any Section 8 Voucher Holder is not obligated to rent a unit on the Available Units Listings. This information is given for knowledge of some of the units available throughout the County, and is for convenience purposes.
Any landlord interested in adding your property to the Available Units Listings is encouraged to call the Section 8 Department of the Fayette County Housing Authority at 724-434-2135 or 724-434-2115, or by writing or visiting the Fayette County Housing Authority at 624 Pittsburgh Road, Uniontown, PA 15401. Also, a copy of the Owner’s Guide for the Fayette County Housing Authority’s Section 8 Program is available upon request.
|Lora Beth DiDominic||Director of Admissions and Assisted Housingemail@example.com|
|Janice Hunyady||Section 8 Program Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pat Herrington||Assistant Section 8 Program Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|Lesa Dolan||Section 8 Housing Specialistfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rose Kifer||Section 8 Housing Specialistemail@example.com|
|Helen Anderson||Section 8 Housing Specialistfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tom Merryman||Housing Inspectoremail@example.com|
|Phil Consonery||Housing Inspectorfirstname.lastname@example.org|